Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thoughts of Dan


My name is Tina Mendenhall, Macy's mom, and I'm hijacking Macy's Mutterings today to post thoughts about Dan Wheldon, two-time Indianapolis 500 champion who we lost Sunday, October 16.  

Thoughts of Dan . . . 

I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to Dan Wheldon’s family, friends and those in the racing community.  Although I am not currently involved in the motorsports industry, I grieve along with the countless others in the business, as well as fans, who are feeling this tremendous loss.  From what I know of Dan, he was a man who was passionate about racing in the IndyCar Series, and most notably, the Indianapolis 500.  He was one of those drivers who, if I can paraphrase Al Unser Jr., “knows what Indy means.”  While Dan’s death is a shock to all of us, we can be somewhat comforted in knowing he left us doing something he was deeply passionate about.  How many of us truly love what we do for a living?  Dan truly loved his job and living the dream as a two-time Indianapolis 500 champion. 

In the two days since the tragic accident, I’ve read a lot of personal and media commentaries and attacks about safety of the cars, track safety, whether the cars should run on a high-banked oval, etc. – a lot of finger-pointing taking place.  As most of us know, motor racing is inherently dangerous and there is no way to remove all risk from the sport.  I do believe that the sanctioning body will take a hard look at all aspects of the accident, with input from the drivers, and act accordingly.  As with any sport, there is no way to make it 100 percent safe.  All drivers know the risks before they ever strap on a helmet, however knowing this doesn’t make Dan’s death any easier to take.

I’ve been a life-long race fan and had the pleasure of working in the sport for several years.  I will continue to be a fan going forward and support the sport that I love.

At this very difficult time, please keep the Wheldon family in your thoughts.  I pray for peace and comfort for Susie, Sebastian and Oliver, as well as Dan’s parents, siblings, friends and extended family in the IndyCar paddock. 

Godspeed, Dan – a champion on and off the track – you will be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment